Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Doing solo, solo

I can think of a lot of things that one lonely person needs on the road, but I can think of two things that are crucial: 1. cruise control, 2. someone who has or does mother children. Cruise control is obvious. Why a mom? It's simple. They're just concerned about you, especially if you happen to be sleeping in their home and are a singer of songs that they enjoy, even if you are a total stranger. Yes it's true, the fans are very important, but not as important as the mothers that you meet along the way. They're the ones who really get you through the tour. "Would you like to do some laundry? Can I make you a to go cup of coffee? Can I fix you some dinner? Would you like to take a bath? I made you some apple brownies." seriously, you don't get that sort of hospitality anywhere except from a mother. And then you hit the road again, well-rested with a full belly, clean jeans and the warm fuzzies.

I'm just leaving St. Louis, where I played the 4th of 8 shows with The Wood Brothers. I stayed two nights with friends of a friend of friend, Mike and Kelly. Kelly is a mom. Now you know where I'm standing. Well, I'm sitting actually, I'm driving, sort of. I've got the cruise control on and I'm typing this with my voice. Ah technology.

I'm headed to Bloomington Indiana, Twin City to Athens Georgia, or so they say. This is my first ever solo tour. Solo driving, solo loading, solo performing, solo everything. This wasn't the original plan, but Ben Lewis' flight was canceled due to hurricane Sandy, and so here I am. Anyway, it's really not so bad. In fact I'm seeing this tour as a rite of passage. I could see it being harder if the Wood Brothers weren't so sweet.

Four more shows and four more cities to go and then a long ass drive home to Nashville. Wish me luck!

Oh and happy Halloween!

Lera

No comments:

Post a Comment